|Solid vegetable fat||25g|
|Fresh or dried yeast||15g|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
|Warmed milk or water||140ml|
|Caster Sugar||1/2 tsp|
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring jug
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowls
- Cling film
- Ask the adult helper to pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°c / 400°f.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl rub in the fat and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Cream the yeast and sugar together in a small bowl. When this turns to liquid, let the children add the lemon juice.
- Add a little of the warmed/tepid milk or water to the flour mixture.
- Now add the yeast mixture with enough of the remaining milk mixture to make soft but not sticky dough.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with cling film, leave in a warm place for half an hour to prove (rise).
- Remove from the bowl knead the dough on a floured surface.
- Divide the mixture into small dough balls, encourage the children to make a shape with the dough.
- Place the dough on a greased baking tray, cover with cling film, leave in a warm place to prove (rise) for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Allow to cool and serve.